Go to Top


The 113th Fighter Squadron, 181st Fighter Wing, Indiana ANG can trace it's lineage back to the 113th Aero Squadron, organized at Kelly Field, TX on 26th August 1917. Redesignated the 634th Aero Squadron in 1918 and finally demobilized on 31st March 1919, it's honor's and lineage was combined (in 1936) with those of the 137th Squadron, Indiana NG, which had activated at Fagley Field, IN during August 1921 (equipped with Curtiss Jennies). Redesignated the 113th Observation Squadron on 25th January 1923 , the unit relocated to Schoen Field and then Stout Field (formerly Mars Hill), Indianapolis in October 1926.

Operating a variety of Observation aircraft during the 1930's, eventually the 113th found itself operating Douglas O-38Bs and North American O-47A/Bs when called to active duty on 17th January 1941 . Ten days later the unit transferred to Key Field , MS and began flying (assigned to the 67th Observation Group, 3rd AF) ASW patrols with O-47s, O-49s and O-52s. Between 1942 and disbandment at Birmingham Army Air Field, AL on 30th November 1943 the 113th re-equipped with Bell P-39s and redesignated twice, firstly in April 1943 to 113th Reconnaissance Squadron and then to the 113th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, 11th August 1943.

Finding itself back at Stout Field , IN at the end of the war, the oldest Indiana ANG unit was extended Federal recognition as the 113th Fighter Squadron (SE) and re-equipped with P-51Ds in April 1947. On 1st February the unit was called to active duty (Korean War) and redesignated as a Fighter Interceptor Squadron ten days later. Operating from Baer Field, Ft. Wayne , IN and Sioux City , IA the 113th eventually arrived at Scott AFB, IL equipped with F-51Hs in May 1951. Seventeen months later the 113th FIS returned to state control at Stout Field and reorganized at a Fighter Bomber Squadron. In September 1954 the 113th made a permanent station change to Hulman Field, Terre Haute, where in the summer of 1955 they began Jet conversion on the F-80C. Flying these until March 1956 when it received F-86As. The 113th FIS converted to F-84F Thunderstreaks and Redesignated 113th Tactical Fighter Squadron in 1958/59. Trained in the Tactical Nuclear role the unit was mobilized as part of the Berlin Crisis from 1st October 1961 to 20th August 1962 (remaining at Hulman Field). In October 1962 the 113th TFS swapped its F-84F Thunderstreaks for recon configured RF-84Fs (but the unit continued operating in the Fighter role!) This period also saw the 181st Tactical Fighter Group being federally recognized as the parent unit of the 113th.  

In 1964 the unit regained its F-84Fs and continued operating them until re-equipping with F-100D/Fs in September 1971. The unit had the honour to fly the last active AF/ANG F-100 mission when it flew F-100D 56-2979 to MASDC (now AMARC) in November 1979.

In the summer of 1979 the unit had begun conversion to the F-4C Phantom II (actual airframes were EF-4C Wild Weasel aircraft which had been de-modified). By the 1st April 1988 the unit had completed its conversion to more the advanced F-4E version of the Phantom II.

Beginning in April 1991 the unit started its conversion to ex 50th TFW Block 25 F-16C/Ds (last Phantoms left in October 1991) and completed this on 1st July 1992 . During this period the unit designation changed to 113th Fighter Squadron, 181st Fighter Group (15th March 1992) and in June its gaining command changed from Tactical Air Command to Air Combat Command ( 1st June 1992 ). On 1st October 1995 the 181st Fighter Group was redesignated as a Wing, this being a force wide change. Since equipping with F-16s the Racers (The 113th's nickname coming from the proximity of Terre Haute to the Indianapolis 500 racetrack) have participated in a humanitarian deployment to Romania, provided security for the 1996 Summer Olympic Games and have deployed in support of Operation Southern Watch (operating from Al Jabar AB, Kuwait) and Operation Northern Watch (from Incirlik Air Base, Turkey).

The 113th swapped their Block 25 F-16C/Ds for Block 30s in July/August 1995 and are still equipped with these today. The units vipers are now equipped with LITENING II, a precision targeting pod system designed for Air Force Reserve's and Air National Guard's F-16 Block 25/30/32 Fighting Falcons. This precision targeting system significantly increases the combat effectiveness of the F-16 during day, night and under-the-weather conditions in the attack of ground targets with a variety of standoff weapons.

'Sharpshooter' visited Hulman Field in August 2001 where the the photos of the currently assigned Vipers were taken. We would like to thank Lt.Col Edward A. Bunch, 181st Fighter Wing Executive Officer for permitting us to visit the 'Racers' and also the pilots of the 113th who gave up their valuable time to escort us on the flight line.